Dimensions : H. 59 x W. 32.3 inches
This finely carved giltwood mirror is a remarkable example of the end of the reign of Louis XIV. Made around 1710, the sculpted wood design takes into account the rules of the 17th century style: rigor, balance, and symmetry. However, it also has new elements that are still symmetrical and where the greatest sense of lightness was already present in the 18th century.
The glazing beads surrounding the central mirror are made of "à la Bérain" rods. The elements are rich in design and most importantly the capital presents itself with a magnificent stylized shell with leaves. The twists, flowers, and leaves, were carved with virtuosity in linden wood.
The state of conservation of this mirror is excellent: mercury glass, the back, and the gilding are all original, except the restoration which was needed because of usage and maintenance.